What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded to your computer from a web page. They are an essential tool for displaying numerous information services. Among other things, they allow a web page to store and retrieve information about the user's navigation habits or the system being used and, depending on the information retrieved, it can be used to better the user experience.
Types of cookies
Depending on the entity managing the domain from where the cookies are sent and process the information obtained, two types can be differentiated:
- Same-site cookies: cookies sent to the user from a system managed by the editor.
- Third-party cookies: cookies sent to the user from a system not managed by the editor, but from a third-party entity that processes the information obtained.
In the case that the cookies are installed from the system managed by the editor but the information gather is processed by a third party, they can't be considered same-site cookies.
There's a second clasification depending on the time cookies are stored in the user's browser. They can be:
- Session cookies: designed to store information while the user accesses a web page. These cookies expire when the browser is closed.
- Permanent cookies: the information stays stored in the browser and can be accessed and processed for the amount of time defined by the cookie's owner. It can range from a few minutes to a couple of years.
Last but not least, there can be 5 different types of cookies depending on their purpose:
- Technical cookies: they allow the user to browse through a web page, platform or app and the use of options and services that exist whithin it like, for example, trafic and communication control, session identification,
access to restricted areas, remembering the items in the shop basket for online stores, use safety elements while browsing, store content to share video, sound or content through social media.
- Customization cookies: allow the user to access a service with some default charasteristics catered towards the user like language, type of browsing, regional settings, etc.
- Analytic cookies: allow the owner to follow and analyze user behavior. The information gathered can be used to determine site traffic and to elaborate browsing profiles for the users with the purpose of providing a better
- Ad cookies: allow for the efficient management of ad space.
- Behavioral ad cookies: store information about the user's navigation habits which allows for better ads to be placed depending on it.
Deactivate and delete cookies
You have the option to allow, block or delete cookies installed in your system through your browser settings. When cookies are deactivated, some services can stop working. The way to deactivate cookies is different in every browser; generally it can be done from the Tools menu or Settings. You can also search your browser's help menu where instructions can be found. The user can at any time choose what cookies can operate on his or her system.
- Accept cookies. You will not see the warning during your session.
- Read more. You will be redirected to this page.